There was much confusion today as the mainstream media all posted stories about President Trump ordering the Pentagon to cut all funding to the Stars and Stripes Military publication. An American institution which has been in existence and running since the Civil War.
President Donald Trump said on Friday that his administration will absolutely not cut funding to the longstanding Stars and Stripes military publication, refuting those earlier reports that he ordered the Pentagon to shut it down.
“The United States of America will NOT be cutting funding to @starsandstripes magazine under my watch. It will continue to be a wonderful source of information to our Great Military!” Trump tweeted Friday afternoon.
Earlier on Friday, USA Today reported a Pentagon memo that allegedly demanded Stars and Stripes’ final publication on Sept. 30.
The memo, authored by Col. Paul Haverstick Jr., allegedly required Stars and Stripes’ publisher to propose a plan to “dissolve” the newspaper by Sept. 15, as well as a timeline for “vacating government owned/leased space worldwide,” and declared the final publication of the newspaper as Sept. 30.
Stars and Stripes receives more than $15 million annually in federal funds via the federal government’s annual defense bill. The subsidy comprises half of the publication’s total annual budget.
The Pentagon memo reportedly cites the president’s authority to dissolve the publication under his defense budget request, although the House of Representatives had repeatedly struck down efforts to exclude the publication’s funding from the 2021 defense bill (also not Trumps doing). The Senate has not taken a measure on the funding but Americans can rest assured now that it won’t be done away with anytime soon.
In February, the Pentagon had announced it would be eliminating the funding in order to reprioritize funds. At the time, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said during a NATO press conference, “We trimmed the support for Stars and Stripes because we need to invest that money, as we did with many, many other programs, into higher-priority issues.”
In a letter to Esper last week, 15 senators urged him to “take steps to preserve the funding prerogatives of Congress before allowing any such disruption to take place.”
The whole thing seems like just another attempt to take out America’s institutions and tradition by the left’s deep state swamp. But as the President has indicated time and time again, “not on my watch”.